Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Skunked

Last night, I was in such a great mood. JJ's family had a great time this weekend (and so did I) and I was looking forward to an evening with just the two of us. JJ had stayed home all day to clean up the house and go grocery shopping. The house looked great and there was no work left for me to do! We had dinner on the porch because his parents bought us this cute table to put outside. It was a gorgeous evening and we had sat outside eating and sipping some wine. We were having such a great time. We came inside and were just hanging out.

Around 8:30 Little P (her real name is Piper. I am tired of using a fake name) started asking to go outside. I opened the door to let her go out. Piper bolted out the door and I yelled for her. She has been chasing frogs around our yard lately and if she catches one, it will pee in her mouth and she will throw up. So I was yelling at her to stop. I flipped on the light and I saw it. I saw the black body with the white stripe. I saw the tail lift up and spray Piper right in the face. I smelled the HORRIBLE stench. I slammed the door shut and started freaking out. JJ came downstairs and let Piper inside. She was foaming at the mouth and started rolling on the ground to try to get the smell off of her. I was screaming and still freaking out (I do really well in stressful situations). JJ grabbed her and put her in the bathtub while I called the emergency vet. They said that skunk spray is harmless (except if it gets in her eyes which I don't think it did since they aren't red or runny) and to mix 1 quart of peroxide, 1 cup of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of Dawn dishwashing soap together and bathe her. We did that and she actually smells a lot better. By that point it was about 10:00 and I was exhausted. I am usually in bed by 10 because I have to wake up at 5:30 in the morning.

The bathroom was a disaster. There was hair everywhere and baking soda was all over the place. Also, the ENTIRE house smelled so BAD. We cleaned up the bathroom, opened all the windows and sprayed Febreeze everywhere we could. I went to bed around 11:30 but JJ was up much later vacuuming and cleaning. This morning our downstairs smells much better but the rooms upstairs still stink.

We had noticed that something had been digging in our mulch but we never thought it was a skunk! We have a 6-foot privacy fence so it must be digging a hole and going underneath our fence to get in at night. What do we do? How do we get rid of it? I guess we can call someone to come trap it but I am afraid it is going to cost us a fortune.

This is actually the second time Piper has been sprayed by a skunk in the past year or so. When I lived with my grandparents she was sprayed in the face too. However, my grandparents live in the middle of the country, not in a neighborhood like me! Agh! I HATE SKUNKS!

At work today, I have had two coworkers tell me that I, along with my office, smell like a skunk. AWESOME. Maybe someday I will look back and laugh at this. Right now though, I am hoping no one comes into my office the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ugh. becs, I'm just an a hole. we aren't avoiding your question on somethingasked and we're thrilled to have a legit question...but we didn't think timing through when we threw the site up. Brittany just moved to LA and I've been in Florida...we have a bunch that we answered all at once and are just periodically posting them...I really am so greatful that you delivered our first real question and we're being bastards about it!! Don't quit on us!! Hopefully we'll get it answered before your actual wedding!