Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I'll Miss You Papa

My grandfather (my father's dad) passed away on Thursday. He was 73. He and my grandmother would have been married for 54 years this December. I am completely devastated. I wish there was something I could do for my father or grandmother to help ease the pain.

He had an aneurysm burst about 2 weeks ago. He was on a gambling boat and he felt something weird in his stomach. He told my grandmother that they needed to go home. He drove an hour back to their house and went to lie down. A short while later he called for my grandmother and when she came into his room he passed out. He had been bleeding into his stomach that whole time and he also had a heart attack. My grandmother called 911 and he was rushed to the hospital (that was about 30 minutes away). He spent two weeks in the ICU and he was making progress. The doctors decided to take him off the ventilator and he seemed to be doing really well. He was awake and even spoke a few words. Then all of a sudden his heart rate went crazy and they said they needed to put him back on the ventilator. When they put him under anesthesia his heart stopped. They were never able to wake him up again. My mom called me Thursday night to tell me and I was completely in shock. The last news I had gotten from my dad was that he was off the ventilator and it was a huge step. It never crossed my mind that he wouldn't make it through this.

JJ has been so supportive and I don't know how I would have made it through the funeral without him. I don't even think everything has hit me yet. Little things remind me of him and make me cry. Sometimes I start panicking because I remember that I will never be able to talk to him again. It hurts so badly.

I miss you so much Papa.

No comments: