Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Crazy Roomie

This weekend over dinner, JJ and I started talking about old roommates. It turns out that if there was an award for the world's worst roommate, I would totally win.

When I was 18 my mom told me that I needed to move out ASAP (we fought a LOT and it was really time for me to leave). I was discussing that situation with a coworker and another coworker (let's call her Ms. AD for Alcoholic Druggie)overheard us. Ms. AD mentioned that her and her friend (let's call her Ms. SF for Sex Fiend) had a condo and were looking for a third roommate. I barely knew Ms. AD and did not know anything about her partying habits. I had never met Ms. SF either (she actually turned out to be pretty cool but was a total nympho). I decided that I really just wanted to get out of my parents house, so how bad could it be?

As soon as I moved in the partying began. Ms. AD drank every single night. Then there were the parties that I did not know about until I got home. One night after a long evening at work (I was a waitress), I came home to the place being filled with about 70 people. As soon as I walked in, the police arrived so I went right up to my room and tried to sleep. Ms. AD would also leave our front door unlocked a lot. We did not live in the best neighborhood and that was not a good idea.

Ms. AD would go out and get drunk, meet random men and bring them home. Then she would pass out leaving Ms. SF and I alone with them. I once woke up and got ready for work to find some strange man asleep on our couch. And I was ALONE in the house with him. One time at a party I overheard someone say, "Hey I'm gonna call ______ so he can bring us some coke!" I totally freaked out. I did NOT want cocaine in my house.

Ms. AD also had a pittbull puppy that she would beat. One time I was on the phone with my mother and she asked me, "What is that noise in the background?" I told her that it was Ms. AD beating her dog. She also would leave the puppy for hours alone in his crate. She once left to go to a club at 5 pm and left him in the crate until she got home the next day at about 10 am. Me and Ms. SF would try to help out but we were not always home to take care of him. We threatened to call animal control and she gave the puppy away. Thank God.

This was a time in my life where I was very, very poor. I went grocery shopping once a month and rationed everything. One month I splurged and bought a bag of BBQ chips. I was up in bed one night and I heard Ms. AD and her druken friends come home. I then heard them rip open my bag of chips and they start to eat them. How do I know they were my chips? Because I heard them say "Are these your chips Ms. AD?" and she answered, "No they are Becs chips, " followed by lots and lots of laughing. That was the last straw.

My parents and I called the landlord and asked to get ME out of the lease. I wanted out so badly. I just wanted to go back home to my parents. We told them what Ms. AD had been doing and they refused to let me out of the lease. Instead, they decided to evict her. That was when things got really bad.

Ms. AD decided I had backstabbed her and tried to get her evicted. She HATED me. She had lots of scary druggie friends and I was literally scared for my life. Ms. AD still worked with me so she started spreading lots of rumors about me. That was when many of my so-called friends turned against me. One day I noticed my $300 leather coat (a gift) was missing. I called Ms. AD and asked her if she had seen it. She said no. All of her stuff was boxed up since she was moving out. I went through all of them and found the coat.

Then one day I woke up to men's voices in our house. I also heard Ms. AD crying. I stayed in bed until everything got quiet. I opened my door and right there on the floor was a noose and a bible. The crazy bitch tried to HANG herself outside my door. She knew I had just lost a friend to suicide. Apparently she had called her ex-boyfriend and told him she was going to kill herself and he called the cops. They came and stopped her. I was told later that she threatened suicide a lot for attention. I hate people that do that.

After the whole thing was over and she moved out everyone was like, "I was so surprised when I found out you were living with her. She was so crazy and I didn't think you would like that." Wow. Thanks for the heads up guys.

8 comments:

Lacey Bean said...

Holy crap what a horrible situation!! Glad you came out of it relatively unscathed. I wonder what happened to Ms. AD now.

Anonymous said...

Jesus!

Sarah said...

yeah, those are one of those situations where someone should have grabbed you by your arm and said "DON'T DO IT!!"

I bet you appreciate living with JJ even more cuz of that!

Becs said...

Yeah I am in heaven now that I am living with JJ.

Lacey Bean: The last I heard she was pregnant. I know this sounds horrible but I hope she had a miscarriage or gives it away for adoption. There is no way in hell she could raise a child to be healthy. No way.

Susan said...

I swear I left a comment here. Dang it.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I had a crazy roommate back in the day (we'll call her WT, for "white trash), but she was positively glorious compared to Ms. AD. At least all WT did was to bring in non-housebroken rottweiler puppies for days at a time (leaving them in our laundry room while she was out, and lying to the rental office about their existence), throwing away my Rx complexion soap because she didn't like how it looked when her friends came to visit, let her police officer boyfriend leave his loaded gun laying on our coffee table (and aiming it at me when I came home earlier than they had expected me to), ruining the clothes/shoes she borrowed without permission, and stealing my money to pay for an abortion (since she decided to depend on the withdrawl method of birth control after she decided that the pill was too expensive).

Jacki said...

Wow! I thought I'd had some pretty brutal roommates, although we share the ones with suicidal tendencies for attention and the random parties.

Anonymous said...

Ok so I'm totally reading your whole blog lol, I dont know why, I just got sucked in. Ha! But holy cow, I had almost this same thing happen to me...I feel your pain! It was so horrible that I still have nightmares about it and what happened and it was over 6 years ago..it was awful!