Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The weekend

I survived the weekend!

JJ's parents were supposed to arrive around 10:00pm on Thursday night. I got off work on Thursday and we needed to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Then, I needed to clean the guest shower (so I could use it) and get my clothes and bathroom stuff out of the master bed/bathroom. We know that his parents are aware that we are sleeping in the same room, but we just didn't want it to be right in their face. And we didn't want to share a bed while they were there.

At around 8:00 we got a call saying that they were close to being there. I kinda freaked out a little at that point. I was so incredibly nervous! Then the doorbell rang and I thought I was going to pee my pants. They all came in and kinda stood in the doorway. JJ introduced me and then I told him to give them a tour of our place. It was pretty awkward at first and I felt really uncomfortable. Luckily, it was late by the time they got unpacked and settled so we watched tv for a bit and then went to bed.

On Friday, we all slept in and then got ready to go out to lunch. I have just met this girl (we will call her BFF) and she has quickly become a good friend. It is so nice to have a girlfriend to hang out with again! No offense to JJ but I just can't talk to him like I can with another girl. We met BFF and her boyfriend (who was visiting from St. Louis) for lunch. Luckily BFF is very outgoing and she pretty much controlled the conversation the whole time. JJ's family was pretty quiet but BFF managed to get them talking a little bit. After lunch we went home and layed around until dinner and then went to see fireworks.

On Saturday, JJ and I went and worked out and then went home to cook breakfast. We made a frittata and it turned out really good. Then we hung out around the house and then got ready to meet my grandparents for an early dinner and church. After church we went to see Wall-e which was so cute! One weird thing about that night though was that there was a group of people (probably in their early 20's) sitting right behind us. One of the girls kept going "AWWW" or "SO CUTE!" or would yell things out to the characters. The theater was filled with kids and I did not hear a peep out of any of them. I only heard that one wierdo. Even JJ looked at me at one point and whispered, "what is her problem?" No clue.

Sunday was a blast. We went to this cave that was about 30 minutes away. The drive was fun and walking through the cave was awesome. His dad was totally cracking me up. Picture this big guy with a beard, cowboy boots and cowboy hat running through the cave. That is what I experienced. He was RUNNING. So all I would hear behind me was CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP and I would turn around and he would be running down a hill towards us with this goofy grin on his face. I was dying. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Then we went to Dollar Tree and even that was fun. JJ's brother bought these magic cards and it took him forever to figure out how to do one trick. He kept messing it up and JJ's sister was making fun of him. Then he figured it out and his sister was totally amazed. We went to the grocery store and picked up some fish and ingredients to make a salad and went home. We cooked a great dinner and then just hung out. They left Monday morning while I was at work.

Overall, everything went very well. I think everyone liked me which is good. The only thing that bothered me a little was that they just didn't make a huge effort to get to know me. No one asked me about my job or family or where I went to school. They asked about my dog and on Sunday his mom asked if I had any siblings. This was so wierd to me. It would be one thing if this is just the way they were but when they met BFF they showed interest in her. So why not me? I tried bringing it up to JJ but he just got defensive so I dropped it. I really really liked them. I just wanted to see if they liked me. However, last night JJ told me that his mom said I seemed really nice and his dad kept asking about me. So I guess that's a good sign.

Now, only 2 more days until I leave for CALIFORNIA!!!!


ZooKeeper said...

i am so glad it went ok and didn't turn into a huge disaster. Parents can be tough.

Have fun in California. As if anyone could stop you!

Miss Grace said...

I'm so happy that it worked out pretty well for you. I'm sure they liked you!
California! That's my neck of the woods! Where are you going?
Ooh are you going to be at blogher? (I am)

Sarah said...

Meeting the parents-yikes how nerve wracking-glad it went well!

Jenn said...

Glad to hear that it went well, or as well as could be expected :)