Saturday, February 27, 2010

Lexy's Story: Part 3

This is part 3 of the Lexy saga. See Part 1 and Part 2 if you haven't yet!

The next morning after finding the owner of the stray dog, we decided to go pick her up from animal control. We needed to stop by her owner's house again to ask him the name of the vet that he used and the dog's name so we could call and get her records. We stopped by the owners house around 10:00 that morning. JJ stayed in the car and I went to the door. I rang the doorbell and could hear the man's son running around upstairs. I waited and waited. I was not about to leave when I knew they were home, so I rang the doorbell again. I waited a couple of minutes and finally someone approached the door. The man whipped open the door and yelled, "WHAT?"

I was a little shocked but I managed to ask him who his vet was. He said he used Dr. Berry. I thanked him and went back to the car. I told JJ the doctor's name and he asked what the dog's name was. CRAP! I had been so taken aback by the man's rude behavior that I had forgotten to ask for the dog's name. I told JJ I would go back and this time he came with me. I rang the doorbell again and braced myself. The man once again whipped open the door and yelled at us. He said it "was not a good morning for this." I could not believe it. All we were trying to do was help him out by taking his dog and finding it a home and he was still being a total ass. JJ spoke with him very calmly which was good because I was shaking I was so furious. The man said that he thought the dog's name was Sally. He thinks? He wasn't sure? Don't most people know their own dog's name?

I stomped back to the car and JJ finished talking to him. He got back in the car and we headed back to animal control. When we got there we headed to the office area and spoke with the only woman working. She was (of course) completely rude to us. We explained what had happened and she told us that the dog would have to stay at animal control for five days or until the current owner signed her to the shelter. I was really upset. Five days would be Thanksgiving Day so she would have to wait until after the holiday weekend. That would mean she would be stuck there for 10 days.

Another thing that bothered me was the woman kept saying that the dog we turned in was a male. I was really confused. I was almost positive the dog had been a female but the lady said that the dog was definitely a male. Also, they had originally told us that the dog did not have a microchip but they said that was a mistake and it did have one. I was confused and upset but there was nothing I could do. I would have to wait.

I called my grandmother who lives about 30 minutes from us. She has rescued many, many dogs in her lifetime. She lives in the country and people will drive out there and dump their dogs. The dogs somehow seem to know that my grandparents are dog people because they always make their way to their house. They have rescued countless dogs and nursed them back to health. They kept some and found homes for the rest. They have a dog that was dumped by a church and they found it when it was close to dying. They saved her and kept her. They found a dog that someone dumped because they wanted more money for BEER. They kept her too and she is a wonderful dog.

My grandmother advised me to go back to the shelter on Monday (it was Saturday at that point) and make sure that they had the right dog. We were both worried that they put my information with the wrong dog due to the confusion of the sex of the dog and the suddenly appearing microchip. I agreed and we made plans to meet there during my lunch break on Monday.

Part 4 coming up soon!


Gilsner said...

Can't wait to hear how it all turns out! Very well written, each part has left me hanging... wanting to know what happens! I look forward to a happy ending! :)

Mrs T said...

The suspense is KILLING ME...........

Anonymous said...

This is driving me crazy, girl! Get to it! :)